Thursday, July 28, 2005

Where's Michael Moore now??

IN "FAHRENHEIT 9-11," Michael Moore went around telling members of Congress he was signing their children up to serve in the military (and then conveniently omitted their response if they said they had family members who were serving). I wonder what he would have to say about this son of a leading candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2008:


Teddy Pataki, son of N.Y. State Gov. George Pataki, was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the United States Marines Corps on Saturday June 25.
Pataki, a 22-year-old native of Peekskill, N.Y., began seeking out information from the Marine Corps in February 2004 during his junior year at Yale. His interest peaked during a mundane summer internship working in a cubicle. He said at that time he wanted something more challenging, more adventurous.
As a football player and fraternity president, his peers respected and admired his choice to take the commission and become a Marine officer, however, it was a shock to Yale - as not that many of the students choose to serve in the military. “It doesn’t affect me,” Pataki said. “This is something that I wanted to do.”
He completed 10-weeks of training at Officer’s Candidate’s School at Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA in August 2004. “Succeeding in OCS meant a lot to me. IT MEANT MORE THAN GRADUATING YALE because it demanded so much from me as a person. I grew a lot during my time there.”
He added that graduates from Yale have a lot of options, but not all are as rewarding as being a Marine. “I wanted something more exceptional; something that would make the most out of me.”
Although following his family members footsteps at Yale, Pataki wanted to forge his own future after graduating. “The Marine Corps gave me a chance to make my own way. It was a way for me to prove myself,” Pataki said. “I chose the Marine Corps over all the branches because it’s respected throughout the world. It’s an elite brotherhood and I wanted to be a part of that.”
After receiving his lieutenant bars, he humbly admitted this ceremony was not about him, but more so a tribute to the family he is about to join. “The ranks I am privileged enough to join today have made this accomplishment significant through past bravery and loss of Marines throughout American history,” Pataki said.
WELCOME ABOARD, LT PATAKI!


Photos and details here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home