Wednesday, September 06, 2006

¡Vamos A México!


A bit of a diversion from the world's current events, so I thought I'd give a little insight to land where the Mrs. was born...... México!

Besides having great food, awesome beaches, hot chicks, great beer, tequila and gorgeous mountainsides, México is full of fascinating, tantalizing, enchanting, charming, engaging (and just about every other adj. that I haven't thought of) history.

It's just about impossible for me to post on México's history, I could go on and on, but for a nice insight into the history of México, check out AncientMexico.com - The Art, Culture, and History of Ancient Mesoamerica.

In addition, if you're into the Olmec, Mayan and Aztec archeology, etc., I highly recommend these books which I have read:

The Code of Kings: The Language of the Seven Sacred Maya Temples and Tombs
The Blood of Kings: Dynasty and Ritual in Maya Art
A Forest of Kings: The Untold Story of the Ancient Maya
Mexico, from Olmec to the Aztec

Since the Mrs. is from Tequila, and I love tequila (in moderation of course) here's a quick recommended list for different pocket books:

Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia anejo: $119 a bottle and I'm smiling just thinking about it now.
Herradura reposado: A good reposado to get you started. $38 / bottle
Sauza Hornitos reposado: great price for a great all-purpose tequila, best bang for your buck, $26 /bottle
Corzo blanco: It'll give Patron a run for its money, $60 / bottle
El Jimador blanco: A mixto (a tequila that's less than 100% agave). Great for mixing, $19.99.

FYI, stay away from the Gold tequila's, they're gold for a reason, and that is caramel coloring which means it's sugar. Use the white or clear tequila's for mixing. Also, a buddy asked me about Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo Tequila......buy it.........he has an excellent product. My preference in order is the reposado, white and then the añejo.

3 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and let it be known that Mr. Joe is a Mexican at heart!. Even before his world got filled with all these Mexicans as part of his family, he had a special connection with my country ,its people and traditions...I am very honored to be his wife...

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is nice, especially from a Queen!

Dude, I've been on a sabbatical for 10 weeks, went to Mexico....Cabo, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Acapulco and Huatulco and Brazil. Took the Tequila Express Train from Guadalajara, cool town, had a blast, they had tequila on the train and them mariachi singers too.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Joe Gringo said...

Ah, the Queen!

She's been a blessing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home