Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The more Bill Clinton changes, the more he stays the same.

Look, I know how we're supposed to react. George W. Bush is turning the other cheek to his critics, and is doing everything in his power to comfort people on a personal level, and at the same time, make sure the federal government gets the upper hand on a devastating crisis.

I read Hugh Hewitt's post about taking the high road. I understand the message. And then I read Bill Sammon from this morning's Washington Times, and my blood pressure spiked. He was reporting on interviews of both Presidents Bush and Clinton regarding the crisis and the criticism. Here is what Bill Clinton had to say:

Mr. Clinton suggested he had been more attentive to the dangers of flooding in New Orleans than his successor.

"We had some people killed in the flood toward the end of my first term in the New Orleans area," he said. "And there was a study done for strengthening the levee system.
"And I believe that we began to do that along toward the end of my second term when the study was completed and the funding," Mr. Clinton added. "What happened to it, I don't know."

I shouldn't be surprised. Bill Clinton has never, ever in his life missed a chance to claim that he cured one of the world's problems somewhere by the end of his second term, but he's not responsible for what happened afterwards. How big of a creepy narcissist can you be? This crisis is affecting hundreds of thousands of people, and it's affecting them in a big way. I can promise you that there's one person that this crisis isn't about. It isn't about Bill Clinton. And it is just slimy to make that kind of a statement.
Did the "study" he believes he had happen while he was being impeached and invading an aspirin factory in the Sudan and managing Kosovo and pardoning Marc Rich and stopping global warming and keeping Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden in control and solving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict?
Boy, if I believed I had done all that single-handed and created the world's greatest double-wide presidential library and still had time to write a best-seller, I'd be pretty mad at George Bush for screwing everything up, too.
Real helpful, Bill. I believe I had a study that fixed that levee problem, but I don't know what happened to it after I left. I sure hope we don't have a big earthquake out here. I'd hate to hear Bubba visit the damage and say it's too bad the current occupants didn't implement his fault line restabilization program that he had ready to go late in his second term.
Okay, I promise not to counter-attack for a while...at least until the next high-profile Democrat tries to verbally attack the people that are actually doing stuff, instead of the previous occupants, who merely talked about stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home