Thursday, March 30, 2006

When You Think You're Having A Bad Day...

it could be a lot worse....think about dear friend and co-worker Abby Simpkins, her husband Bill and sons Tyler, Isaac and Wyatt, I know I will. Their 6 year old baby girl, Emma, died last Sunday when Bill was parallel parking his lifted Ford-350 Truck and accidentally ran over Emma. Their middle son Isaac saw this happen, the oldest son Tyler, 12, went to pick up Emma who was clinging to life, then Abby took her, she says she believed Emma died in her arms.

This is just an incredibly sad thing to happen to such a great family, Abby & Bill are phenomenal people. They moved in to their dream home in Anthem about 6 months ago and just last week finished the re-modeling of their home. As can be expected, they are devastated and need support. Abby & Bill were contacted during the middle of the night tha day after Emma died and were asked if they wanted to donate Emma's heart to a child in the vally here who needed a heart valve.....they agreed to do it. Any prayers for them are greatly appreciated, and an account has been established to help assist with funeral expenses:

NAME OF BANK: WELLS FARGO
NAME OF ACCT.: SIMPKINS FAMILY
ACCT. NO.: 2732251745

Emma Addison Simpkins, of Anthem, AZ passed away March 26, 2006 at the innocent age of 6. Emma was the baby of her family born in Troy, OH on February 7, 2000. Emma is survived by her loving parents, William and Abby, and brothers, Tyler, Isaac and Wyatt. Emma was the most beautiful baby princess anyone could ever know. She was brought up in a Christ filled, loving home and she knew Jesus as her savior. A visitation will be held on Thursday, March 30, 2006 from 6 PM to 8 PM at the Desert Hills Fellowship Church 34835 N. 7th St. Phoenix, AZ 85086 with a funeral service the following day at 10 AM at the same location. Memorial contributions to We Care in Anthem, Simpkins Family Account, Wells Fargo Bank account #2732251745.

12 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is probably the saddest thing I've eve heard of.

I will say a prayer for that poor family.

Antone

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Joe Gringo said...

I would have to agree with you, when I heard the news, it literally took the breathe away from me and went to my knees.

Bill, the father is bearing a tremendous amount of guilt, they all are suffering more than anyone should ever have to.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Bill, the father is bearing a tremendous amount of guilt..

I bet he is.
It's beyond all description.

My deepest sympathy goes to your friend and his family.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Joe Gringo said...

ML,

Very much appreciated, the viewing was last night and only the 2nd I've ever attended, I can honestly say I saw a little Angel laying there....beautiful and gutwrenching at the same time.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe thanks for this post. I looked Emma up online and your blog came to the top of google. You are kind and caring for thinking of Emma and her family in this way. I am Bill's oldest sister Annie and I may have seen you at the funeral though names I was introduced to escape me in the aftermath of the tragedy. I am back in Florida now and hugging my own children like they have never been hugged before. I hope your post gives us all pause to live everyday as if it were the last. I can say to you and your readers that Bill and Abby have always lived this way and Emma had a wonderful life even though it was truly shortlived. Their home has always been full of love for one another. I know I learned much from this. I will never let a day go by without letting those around me know how much I love them. Thanks Joe!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Joe Gringo said...

Hi Annie,

Thank you for the post. I work with Abby, my name is Dan, I'm the 6'5", blond guy (probably the only guy there taller than Bill) and was with my wife who is Mexican. Abby and I talked daily about our kids, especially her Emma and my Daniella who will be 4 in June, they both have the same personalities and both beautiful little girls. Have you ever seen such beautiful red, orange hair as Emma had?

After finishing eating at the church, I went to say goodbye to Bill and Abby, Bill said to me that he would like for me to come over, I told him that I was going to leave my kids (boys 9 and 2 and Daniella) with my brother, Bill said..."No, please bring them over, you know I love kids". He's such a good guy.

We will all do our best here in AZ for Bill, Abby and the boys, they are pretty much a role model for what a close, loving family needs to be.

Take care Annie, if there's anything you'd like for me or anyone here to do for them here while you're in Florida, do not hesitate to let me know, drop me a line anytime!

Dan

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your post on Emma. I do not know the Simpkins personally, but am good friends with their relatives back here in Ohio, Tom and Angie Cisco along with Joe and MaryAnn DeWeese.

Our church is lifting all of them in prayer. The DeWeese family (Abby's parents and family) are much loved and respected in our community.

I just wanted to tell you that you've written some very beautiful posts about them. God Bless You!

Steve and Angie Stepler & Family

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Joe Gringo said...

Angie,

Thank you, they are just great people. Mr. DeWeese gave a great eulogy. I chatted with him just before we left, he closed his eyes and said that he could still see her when he, Emma and the boys went bike riding recently and he could see her beautiful hair flowing in the breeze and Emma shouting "Hurry up Pappy"!

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's been awhile since this happend, but I need to tell you how sad I feel for this wonderful family. Emma was in my son's class at school, and when he told me, I just started to cry for Emma's family. What a devistating thing to happen to any parent. As a mother of 4, I couldn't possibly imagine the loss they must feel. What a beautuful little girl she is,my son brought me her picture. My deepest sympathies go out to them. Wish I could take the pain away.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe you are was wonderful peson. I know the Simpkins very well because I live right next to them and I miss Emma dearly. She was the cutest little 6 year old girl I hve ever known.

Your Friend,
Caitlin

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for making this page. i can see from the comments that it's mostly family and friends.

thank you very much,
Tyler Simpkins

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently looking up 10k runs to participate in and came across this one. What a sad story, but so great that she allowed another person to live on w/her heart donation. Sounds like this is a great family and I will be proud to run in this event and support Emma's Run. Hopefully I'll see you all there March 2010.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home