Friday, December 07, 2007

The Modern Feminist Manifesto Redux

Pamela Bone to Germaine Greer in Melbourne last week:

I then asked why it was that Western feminists seemed so reluctant to speak out against things such as honour killings.

Greer: "It's very tricky. I am constantly being asked to go to Darfur to interview rape victims. I can talk to rape victims here. Why should I go to Darfur to talk to rape victims?"

Questioner (me): "Because it's so much worse there."

Greer: "Who says it is?"

Questioner: "I do, because I've been there."

Greer: "Well, it is just very tricky to try to change another culture. We let down the victims of rape here. We haven't got it right in our own courts. What good would it do for me to go over there and try to tell them what to do? I am just part of decadent Western culture and they think we're all going to hell fast and maybe we are all going to hell fast."

Too "tricky" to speak out against honor killings, and you can't teach an old feminist new tricks.



2 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

sigh..we cant expect ANYthing from libs...thats all there is to it my friend!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Proving yet again that the modern feminist is nothing more than a political tool.

So much for a woman not being used by a mostly male dominated field, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home