Tuesday, August 02, 2005

What do the locals drink in Tequila, Jalisco??

Having been to Tequila, Jalisco more than 10 times, I have had the pleasure of spending some valuable time in the local bars, hanging out with quite a few characters there, a lot with a gringo by the name of Allen Nardella. Allen is retired, built like a rock, he married a local beauty about 20 years ago and has lived in Tequila for about the last 17 years or so, just about the only gringo there. Allen was such a character, a full blooded Italian who could keep you up for days with stories of his life and what he was up to in Mexico. Unfortunately, Allen was diagnosed with throat cancer about 2 years ago. I went to see my friend this last April 16 in Tequila. I got to meet with him for about 2 hours on that saturday night, and about 3 hours later, my buddy Allen died.

Allen was so full of life, it really is incredible to see what cancer can do to a very healthy body, it just destroys it. Anyway, I am going to Tequila this thursday night to meet up with the wife and kids who are vacationing/visiting there to see her folks......and when I'm there, I will have one....or....two? of what the locals drink there. And just what is the local drink? It is called a "batanga". You take a tall glass, fill it a bit more than halfway with large cubed ice, fill the glass a little more than halfway with a good white (blanco) tequila, the next 1/3 with mineral water, and then top it off with a splash of coca-cola and a lime. Very delicious and refreshing!

If you get the chance to go to Tequila, go to the bar called "La Capilla" (the Chapel, how appropriate!) and go see Javier, he is the bartender/owner, great man. Tell him that "Negro's" son-in-law (me) sent you, (Javier doesn't speak english, so have a drink or two beforehand and bone up on your spanish). Negro is my father-in-law's knickname, most everyone in Tequila knows him, his real name is Francisco. And if you want THE BEST TACO's IN THE WORLD, you MUST go to "Taco's El Medico" (yah, I know, everyone has had the best taco's, but trust me, these babies are the real McCoy my friends, as much as I love to eat, these taco's are it). This guy has been making tacos in his elaborate cart for more than 25 years, they are awesome. He is usually across the street from the big church (where I was married).

Adios!

Joe Gringo

4 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, your tequila recommendation's were pretty damn good, if I ever get to go to Tequila, I'll try those tacos and give you a report, sounds tasty man.

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a bartender I will vouch for you and say that is a nice batch of tequila's. 3 of my buddies and myself are graduating from BC next May, we want to make a trip to Mexico, we will go through Tequila, sounds cool, we'll go to "The Chapel" and see your boy there, if you're there, maybe you can be our tour guide! Later.......

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous lucygrin said...

going to trquila in 4 days! happy that i found your page bafore the trip! respect!

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Charissa said...

Cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home